No names-addresses or embarassment. I drive alot, and I see some horriffic fences. Here's a couple with critiques. I'm clearing off my desktop, so lets use up these photos.
Possibly a beginner fence builder will see this post and learn what they need to know ahead of time.
#1 Beginner error- not enough support. Most carpenters get it-but amateur builders may not get the principal. You can't really blame them. I've seen this design in a few books.
To span 8' you will need the equivilent of about 7-10" of material supporting.
Which means, 2-3 2x4's stood on edge built into the structure. A 2x4
upright--nailed to a 2x4 on the flat equals 5".
I bet this (below) was a really nice looking fence when it was new. Now - a waste of wood.
When you build in an area where frost is a factor--you need to leave a couple of inches below the fence. (helps prevent rot too) usually 2 - 3 inches from ground.

The use of vinyl fences is really something that people should consider. Aside from the fact that this help save the environment, this will also add value and beauty to your home.
ReplyDeleteToronto Fences
l;olchain link fence cost estimator
ReplyDeleteIt's time to register for the 2016 NAFCA Fence Training School to be held February 8-10, 2016 in Sebring, Florida. The school offers hands on field training in most aspects of fence installation. This year classes will cover Access Control, Chain Link, Farm and Ranch, HTP Rail & Strand, Ornamental, Vinyl, Wood, Welding, Tools and Equipment, and Safety.privacy fence panels
ReplyDelete